We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.T.S. Eliot
CYCLES carries the listener through one ceaseless loop — gradually shifting between stillness and motion, calm and distress, harmony and discord.
Both the audience and musicians will sit in a layered circle facing inward, gradually shifting into an unpredictable soundscape before returning to a place of calm & harmony.
CYCLES presents music spanning nearly 350 years including the world premieres of compositions by SCMF Composer-in-Residence Micah Behr.
- Eric Satie – Gymnopedie no. 1, arr. Behr
- Johann Fux – Sonata for 3 violins
- Heinrich Biber – Battaglia (selections), arr. Behr
- Alfred Schnittke – Andante, from the 3rd string quartet
- Shulamit Ran – Menace, from the 3rd string quartet
- Wynton Marsalis – Blue Lights on the Bayou, from the 1st string quartet
- Kaija Saariaho – Cloud Trio
- Andrew Norman – Teresa, from The Companion Guide to Rome
- Caroline Shaw – Punctum
- Peter Maxwell Davies – Farewell to Stromness, arr. Behr
- Micah Behr – New Works for string ensemble
- Johannes Brahms – Quintet op. 115, for clarinet and string quartet
- Various (arr. Micah Behr) – Hungarian Folk Music Selections for full ensemble
Focusing all our attention on the Brahms Clarinet Quintet, join us for an intimate performance and conversation with the musicians at Simmering Barn (just 25 seats available), situated in the Stoughton countryside.